In this Easter STEM Challenge, students will design and build a basket that will hold and contain Easter eggs as they participate in a bouncy relay race.
Looking for Easter activities that your students will love but are more than just a craft or activity to pass the time? The Basket Bounce STEM Challenge (or STEAM Challenge) will keep your students engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a basket that will hold and contain Easter eggs as they participate in a bouncy relay race.
- Directions to conduct the race based on whether students design baskets in groups, partners, or individually are included.
Note: If you are in a 1:1 classroom, you may prefer the
digital format, compatible with Google Slides ™.
- NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Teacher Tips:
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Handouts
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Student Handouts:
- Criteria & Constraints List (in color and B&W; editable version provided)
- Results and Design Analysis (editable; 2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included in color and and B&W)
- Discussion Questions (editable; color and B&W)
- Extension templates
- Compare and Order numbers_v1: whole numbers to hundreds (editable)
- Compare and Order numbers_v2: decimals to thousandths (editable)
- Fraction mix-up: unscramble numerators & denominators to create addends for a given sum (editable)
- Number puzzles: identify what sets of numbers have in common (editable)
- Math Extension: create your own world problems
- Synonyms and antonyms (editable)
- Process Flow Map
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.)
- Note: The links below are Amazon Affiliate links. Find out more on the disclosure page.
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
This resource is available in a digital 1:1 format, compatible with Google Slides (TM), as well as in discounted bundles.
If you prefer to purchase on TpT, click here.
Note: any coupon/promo codes for this site will only work on this site. TpT does not have the option for individual stores to offer promo codes.
Preview Music Credit:
“Carefree” Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License